CHICAGO ON FILM



When I was a senior in high school--hell, maybe even when I was a junior--I wanted to move to Chicago. Without question, without reason, I wanted to be there. Something about it being a city of Midwestern hospitality and coastal diversity. It had opportunities. It had people. It had atmosphere and adventure and a pace faster than that of my small hometown. It had newspapers and publishers and editors and magazines and things I wanted, I really wanted. So, at seventeen, I applied to Columbia College and was happily accepted. That year, over Easter weekend, my mom and I traveled to Chicago--our first time driving in the Windy City. We were confused and flustered (which is to no one's surprise), but we both loved the college visit itself. God, how I wanted to be there. I really, really wanted to be there.

But, at seventeen, I was as naive as I was idyllic. So, of course, I didn't end up in Chicago after graduation.

That just wasn't the time.

Eight years have passed since I was accepted at Columbia College. And, you know what? It still isn't the time. ... Probably because I'm still naive and still idyllic.

But Chicago is still ... Chicago. It's not overwhelming. It's not intimidating. It's not egotistical. It's not frenzied. It's intelligent, collected. And it's more humble than other large cities. And even though I couldn't be there when I was seventeen, and even though I'm not there at twenty-five, there's still a part of me that aches for its streets, wanting for its atmosphere.

... which, perhaps, is why I'll be there this weekend. 











14 comments:

  1. Chicago! :) city life is not on my to do list, but visiting big cities is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen so many photographs of the Bean but yours are my favorite - the tones and point-of-view are just amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Chicago.
    I also love that city and I also thought I'd end up there. Apparently I'm supposed to stay where I am though. God's plans can be so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos have me wishing to be in Chicago! I spent much time there as it was only about 1.5-2 hours away from my hometown. I like that you say "it's more humble than other large cities." That is so true! After spending eleven years on the East Coast, I have come to realize that the East Coast is so much more pretentious than the Midwest. Even Baltimore, which I love for it's slower pace of life in comparison to DC, Philly, or NYC, still doesn't possess that humbled nature. Enjoy your trip this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chicago is one of the city in US you have to see! I only drove thought once and not stop in even for a one night ...and still regretting about it. As an artist and an art educator, I always feel this is the best Architectural place to visit! Maybe one day:) Great photos Dawn! ....and even better story!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came to Chicago because I had spent enough time in DC, NYC, and St. Louis, so I thought..might as well explore another city! Also - if you are planning to come up to Chicago this weekend, if you have a minute on Sunday, I would love to meet up with you and have coffee or something (no pressure though!)

    Also, in response to your lovely comment on my last post (it wasn't depressing at all! You got the feeling that I was trying to convey) and I'm really glad you liked the pictures! It was strange, over winter break I spent a week or so in NYC and felt myself sinking into a darker mood (might have been the weather or something in the air or just the issue of sedentary life) and I wanted to do something mildly disturbing. I guess, one idea that had been bouncing around in my mind was trying to illustrate neuroticism/mental illnesses (specifically depression/self-abuse, OCD/anxiety, multiple personality disorder/schizophrenia, and narcissism, respectively) - and the result of that was my most recent post. I think things will lighten up again soon, but no guarantees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you describe Chicago! I have never been there but I can imagine what your words mean and how the city feels.

    And I think it must have a meaning that you didn't end up in Chicago... everything has its time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these! Gorgeous photos Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love Chicago and it was really hard for me to leave when I was younger. Not that I really had a choice but it was hard to leave my father and my entire family to move to CT. I always thought I would move back to live as an adult there but after living in New York City and living in other places I think I rather just explore more. I still go back to visit my family and thats good enough for now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always, your photos are beautiful. I particularly like the one of Pizzeria Uno. Love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog randomly, perfection, keep it up dude!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, thank you for taking time to look at my blog, and for taking time to leave a comment. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all seriously stunning! I just love your film shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your photography! I actually did the reverse as you. I left the amazing diversity of Chicago for college in a small Indiana town. The plan was to leave after graduation, but life makes other plans. It always does. Now I'm on a journey to accept my new home and find out what makes it special. And of course make lots of travel plans to visit all the places I thought I would end up!

    ReplyDelete

« »

Candidly Clyde All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger